1. Can I do part-time work like paid expert consulting (outside my employer) with an EAD+AP card related to my I-485 EB1-B green card application?
I am currently on an O-1 Visa, which expired in July 2021. My employer had applied for a renewal (still pending), and they said that I am still in status and able to work as long as the O-1 renewal has been pending for less than 240 days without any decision. I have since received my EAD+AP card for my EB1-B Green Card sponsored by my employer. My employer indicated that they will now withdraw the O-1 renewal application, since I have received my EAD. Additionally, my I-485 for AOS has also been approved. My question is whether I can now take up part-time paid employment outside of my employer (while also continuing to work for my employer) on my EAD+AP card (which I have in hand), or will this in some way jeopardize my future naturalization from permanent resident to citizen? I currently have an offer to do some part-time paid consulting (paid by the hour). Is it okay for me to accept this and receive payment?
Mr. Lee answers:
Under the circumstances that you describe under which you will continue working for the employer that sponsored you for the EB-1B green card, your taking on additional part-time paid employment is fine. You have an EAD allowing you to take on employment which is not confined to your present sponsorship which EAD may soon be superseded by the green card that you will receive since your adjustment of status application has been approved. Under either situation, the additional employment would be allowed. In green card situations based upon employment, USCIS would mainly be concerned at naturalization whether the applicant had an intention to work with the sponsoring employer when the green card was given. In your situation, that would not appear to be a concern as you state that you will continue to work for your employer.
2. Stay and work on H1B while Max out nearing
Arrived in US on Dec 2016 on B-1, change of status to H-1B in Feb 2017. My new employer will be applying for PERM in Mar 2022- What are my chances for Best Case Scenario, perm approved I-140 Approved. Worst case scenario any Audits How can I file for 7th year extension If I exhaust my H1 b then can I work outside US for same employer while my PERM/I140 being processed.
Mr. Lee answers:
Your best-case scenario appears to be no problems with the labor certification application and having an approved I-140 by the time that the six years runs out on your H-1B status. In that case, your company can file for an extension of the H-1B while you are in the US. The chances on that depend upon the labor certification application description and requirements, how the recruitment process goes, and the financial viability of your company – all of which cannot be foretold without knowing all of the facts now and when your company begins the process. The worst-case scenario is that your labor certification application is denied and your avenue is closed. In less dire circumstances in which there is an audit which delays labor certification approval until after your six years is up, you can either attempt to remain in the US on another nonimmigrant status or go out of the US and work for the same employer or another employer until you have an approved I-140 petition, at which point your employer can file a H-1B petition extension for you, which if approved, would allow you to return to the US.
3. Can I move to the US while I wait for my green card?
My brother filed an I-130 and I live out of the US. Do I have to wait for my green card 10+ years or can I get a special visa and move to the US meanwhile?
Mr. Lee answers:
There is no special visa that would allow you to come to the United States ahead of the time that you are entitled to do so under your brother’s petition. On the other hand, you may be able to enter through some other nonimmigrant category such as H-1B specialized occupation worker or L-1 intracompany transferee as those are dual intent visas under which the fact of applying for immigration would not be negatively considered by a consular officer in adjudicating the visa application. Other nonimmigrant visas which require nonimmigrant intent such as visiting or student visas could still be given in the discretion of an American consular officer taking into account all the circumstances of the application.
4. I am currently on h1 b visa and I’m married to US citizen I would like to resign my job due to personal reasons and I have not started the process for adjustment of status.
I need to be vaccinated to apply for green card and in the meantime can I change my status to b1 and stay with my husband.
Mr. Lee answers:
Probably the better thing for you to do is to allow your H-1B status to expire if there will be a gap between your resignation and the time that you file for permanent residence under your marriage case. Expiration of status is not a bar to adjustment of status in your circumstances. In addition, a change of status application to B-1 or B-2 involves an assertion that you will be leaving the country at the end of the temporary period of stay. Such an application is not to be a stopgap to your morphing into permanent residence.