Q&A’s published on Lawyers.com and the Epoch Times on May 10, 2019 1. How Can My US Citizen Husband File A Visa For My Mother to Come to the U.S.? 2. Expired Working Visa 3. What’s My Best Option to File I-751 Form to Remove of Conditional Green Card?

1. How Can My US Citizen Husband File For a Visa For My Mother to Come to the U.S.?

I am a green card holder currently not working because I gave birth 50 days ago.  Now my husband wants my mother to come and assist me with my baby while I return to work and school.  My mother doesn’t have a house and my father passed away. Will it be an issue since my husband will be the one supporting her?

Mr. Lee answers:
It is doubtful whether there is a visa for your mother that fits the purpose that you wish. Typically a visiting visa is for a parent who only wants to help out for a short period of time. In your case, you appear to be contemplating a long-term arrangement. That is not the purpose of a visiting visa. You are not eligible to sponsor her for permanent residence as you are only a green card holder. Your husband does not have the relationship to sponsor her for permanent residence. In the event that you change your plans and decide that your mother will only visit a short time to assist you, she would apply for a visiting visa and your husband could supply the appropriate letter guarantees that your mother will not have to work to support herself along with an I-134 affidavit of support, proof of his income, assets, and tax return.

2. Expired Working Visa

Visa expired two years ago, and Jamaican passport is up in one year. Still in the US. What can be done? Will I get deported?

Mr. Lee answers:
Although Pres. Trump would like to have all undocumented immigrants out of the US, there are approximately 11,000,000, a Herculean task. Most likely you would just join the ranks of the undocumented. If you wish to see what can be done about your immigration, you should consult an immigration lawyer who can go through your possible options.

3. What’s My Best Option to File I-751 Form to Remove of Conditional Green Card?

I got married with an American in June last year. I got approved for conditional residence in January 2017 (we had been dating for years, he came to visit me to my home country twice, it is evidently a good-faith marriage), but since I came here I found out he had been committing adultery for years and has a sex addiction. We’ve been to counseling and he’s in the program (going to SA meetings) and also going to individual therapy. We are in a good place, although I am not sure if this is what I want for the rest of my life. He is willing to accept any decision I make (whether I want to stay or leave) and file jointly for Form I-751 if that’s what I want to do. What is my best option? Is it better if I try to stick with him for two years and we file jointly, even if I decide I don’t want to be with him? Is it better if I file for divorced claiming adultery and present evidence for this?

Mr. Lee answers:
The choice of whether to file jointly or otherwise is up to you.  It may depend upon your tolerance of your husband’s life style for the foreseeable future. Another option is that if you have all the proof of having lived with your husband and also that he has a sex addiction and that you have both been going to counseling, you would most likely be able to remove the conditions on your residence status by filing form I-751 on the basis of having had a bona fide marriage which has ended. Such an application requires a divorce.