Q&A’s published on Lawyers.com and the Epoch Times – 07/21/2017 1. How to Get My Mother a Green Card? 2. I Lost My Passport, Green Card and Social Security Card 3. Passport Stamped With “Denied with Prejudice”

1. How to Get My Mother a Green Card?

How hard is it to get my mother a green card? I’m a US citizen over 21 years of age?

Mr. Lee answers:
If your mother has no disabilities, e.g. fraud, misrepresentation, criminal acts, or prior deportations, and if she is overseas, you can file an I-130 petition for her, and she would be consular processed at the American Consulate or Embassy in her home country. If she is here in the US and entered the country legally, you would file the I-130 petition and she would simultaneously file the I-485 application for adjustment of status. If she has none of the above conditions that would prevent her from immigrating, U.S.C.I.S. would likely approve the application. If she entered the country illegally and has been here for over one year, it would become a more difficult situation for her to get the green card. In such case, you may certainly wish to have your mother obtain a consultation with an immigration lawyer.

2. I Lost My Passport, Green Card and Social Security Card

Lost physically documents and also presumably they are expired already. Scare that I will be deported.

Mr. Lee answers:
If you have a green card, you will not be deported just because you lost it. You can file for a replacement green card on form I-90 application to replace permanent residence card. On the passport, you can apply for another one at the consulate or embassy of your country in the United States. Insofar as the Social Security card is concerned, you can call, write, or appear at a Social Security office and should be able to obtain a replacement card.

3. Passport Stamped With “Denied with Prejudice”

Want to marry a person with the passport stamped “Denied with Prejudice”.

Mr. Lee answers:
There should not be a problem marrying a person even with such a passport stamp. The difficulty may be in later trying to sponsor that individual for permanent residence. At that time, either a U.S.C.I.S. examiner (if an adjustment of status application is filed) or US consular official (if consular processing is sought) may be more concerned with the reasons behind the stamp.