Published on the World Journal Weekly on March 6, 2016

Q&A 1

Can Family Keep Son in China for 6 Years Doing Studies After He Obtains Green Card?

A reader asks:

A child, who is now studying in China’s elementary school, will be able to immigrate to the U.S. and receive a green card next year when he attends the 1st year of middle school.  The family wants him to continue his schooling in China until he completes the high school.  During the 6 years, how can he keep his green card?

Dear reader,

6 years is a long time for a child to stay in the homeland after obtaining the green card, even if it is to attend schooling. I suggest that he and his parents think seriously about having him educated in the U. S. If the family insists on its present plan, he can attempt to obtain reentry permits which will hopefully cover the period of time which is required. If U.S.C.I.S. agrees, it can give reentry permits in two year intervals for the first 2 times, and one year for each of the next 2 years. There is of course the risk that U.S.C.I.S. may deny any of the extension applications or even (although much less likely) wish to take away the green card in the circumstances that you describe.


Copyright © 2003-2017 Alan Lee, Esq.
The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of the Law Office of Alan Lee or establish an attorney-client relationship.


  View Alan Lee's profile

 View Alan Lee's LinkedIn profileView Alan Lee's profile